Smartphone ownership within the United Stated has increased as time passes 1 including among homosexual, bisexual, along with other men that have intercourse with males (MSM)2. Smartphone geosocial-networking applications (“apps”) are generally utilized among MSM to meet up sexual lovers 3,4. Increased usage of smart phones together with the typical usage of apps to locate intimate lovers led CDUHR detective Dr. Dustin Duncan along with his collaborators to review the relationships between app usage and health that is sexual MSM.
Characterizing App Use
Among an example of young black colored MSM living in Gulfport, Mississippi; Jackson, Mississippi; and brand brand New Orleans, Louisiana, 76% utilized apps. mexican woman dating People who utilized apps reported their most often utilized apps as Jack’d (69.8%) followed closely by Adam4Adam (41.5%) and Grindr (35.9%). Individuals utilized on average 8.2 various apps and invested on average 2.1 hours regarding the apps daily. Although a minority (17%) utilized apps to find intimate lovers, the common amount of “app-met partners” with who they involved with insertive sex ended up being 1.19; very nearly 1 / 3 regarding the encounters had been condomless. Also, over one fourth of individuals had been unacquainted with the HIV status of the app-met lovers. High amounts of condomless intercourse and lack of awareness of partners’ HIV status warrant research of intimate risk using among app-using MSM 5.
Contextualizing App Utilize</p>
Intimate risk among software MSM that is utilizing had been utilizing a test of 174 app-using MSM in new york. The research addressed 6 contextual factors linked to app usage and investigated the connection between these facets and condomless sexual intercourse. A big part (63.2%) utilized apps when experiencing unfortunate, whenever making use of liquor (51.1%) so when making use of any medications (25.9%). Individuals had been prone to participate in both insertive and receptive sex that is condomless apps had been used when utilizing any medications or when working with apps for transactional sexual encounters 6.
Fighting HIV through App Utilize
Apps show their usefulness that is potential among and medical care providers trying to reduce the danger of HIV among MSM. Among an example of 169 app-using MSM in London, 63.9% reported willingness to make use of apps for HIV avoidance, and specifically apps to serve as reminders for HIV evaluating. Willingness to utilize apps for HIV prevention had been greater the type of reporting current binge consuming and present club medication use 7.
Current geosocial-networking applications have now been utilized to provide HIV-related interventions 8 and also have the prospective to be utilized for other MSM health problems substance usage, intimate partner physical violence, and intimate danger using. App-based sexual wellness interventions focusing on MSM should really be developed, provided MSM’s willingness to utilize apps for HIV prevention.
- Pew Analysis Center. Social networking Utilize Will Continue To Boost in Developing Nations, but Plateaus Around Developed Ones. June 2018. http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/06/15135408/Pew-Research-Center_Global-Tech-Social-Media-Use_2018.06.19.pdf. Accessed 24 Sept 2018.
- Grov C, Ventuneac The, Rendina HJ, Jimenez RH, Parsons JT. Perceived need for five various health problems for homosexual and bisexual guys: Implications for brand new guidelines in wellness training and avoidance. American Journal of Men’s Wellness. 2013;7(4):274-284.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Geosocial-networking app usage habits of homosexual, bisexual, as well as other men that have intercourse with males: Survey among users of grindr, a mobile relationship app. JMIR Public Wellness andSurveillance. 2015; 1(1):e4.
- Queiroz, Artur Acelino Francisco Luz Nunes, de Sousa, Бlvaro Francisco Lopes, de Araъjo, Telma Maria Evangelista, de Oliveira, Francisco Braz Milanez, Moura MEB, Reis RK. Overview of risk behaviors for HIV disease by males who’ve intercourse with guys through geosocial networking phone apps. Journal for the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care.2017;28(5):807-818.
- Duncan DT, Park SH, Hambrick HR, et al. Characterizing geosocialnetworking software use among young black colored males who possess intercourse with males: A multi-city survey that is cross-sectional the southern united states of america. JMIR mHealth and uHealth. 2018;6(6):e10316.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Contextual facets in geosocial-networking smartphone application usage and engagement in condomless rectal intercourse among homosexual, bisexual, as well as other males who possess intercourse with males whom utilize grindr. Intimate Wellness. 2016;13(6):549-554.
- Goedel WC, Mitchell JW, Krebs P, Duncan DT. Willingness to utilize mobile apps for HIV prevention among males who possess sex with guys in London: Web-based study. JMIR uHealth and mHealth. 2017; 5(10):e15.
- Cao B, Gupta S, Wang J, Hightow-Weidman LB, Muessig KE, Tang W, Pan S, Pendse R, Tucker JD. Social networking Interventions to market HIV Testing, Linkage, Adherence, and Retention: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Med Online Res. 2017;19(11):e394.
For more information, contact Dustin Duncan at email@example.com
This work had been supported by NIDA (P30DA011041, PIs: Deren & Hagan); My Brother’s Keeper, Inc; Wilfred L and Ruth SF Peltz Research Scholarship, granted through the newest York University College of Arts and Science Dean’s Undergraduate Research Fund (PI: William C Goedel); and nyc University class of Medicine Start-Up analysis Fund.
The guts for Drug utilize and HIV analysis (CDUHR) can be an interdisciplinary research center that concentrates on general public medical issues linked to HIV, hepatitis C, and drug usage.
Center for Drug utilize and HIV analysis NYU university of worldwide Public wellness 665 Broadway, 11th Floor nyc , NY 10012
Phone: 212.992.6741 Fax: 212.995.4877 E-MAIL